I make a lot of lentils. They’re so healthy and full of good nummy goodies.
Inspired by The Vegan Cookie Fairy
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. whole cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp. ground garam masala powder
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped small
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 7 cups vegetable broth (or 3 cups water, 4 cups broth)
- 1 head of broccoli (use the stem too, don’t waste it!), chopped small and let rest for 10 minutes
- 1 yellow summer squash, chopped small
- 3 celery stalks, chopped small
- 2 cups dry lentils (or 3 cups lentils and no peas)
- 1 cup dry split peas
- 4 handfuls of baby kale or spinach
In a large pot, heat the coconut oil and add the cumin seeds, garam masala and coriander . Stirring, allow them to sizzle for a minute or two and then add the chopped onions. By the way, I got super excited when I found out about this spice jar cap. It’s a freaking pop-top people! How cool is that?? I was ecstatic! Is that weird?
Saute until translucent, then add the garlic and saute another two minutes. Add the remaining ingredients excluding kale and bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cook, uncovered for about 45 minutes or until most of the liquid has absorbed, stirring occasionally.
Serve alone or with bread or even over rice or quinoa. Garnish with cilantro.